Adventures in technology at the library.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Plug In the Library



Hello and welcome to my blog, Plug In the Library!  This blog will be recording my adventures through the Maymester course MLIS 7505 at Valdosta State University.  You may be wondering how I came up with the name of my blog.  Well, for starters, everything more self-explanatory was already taken.  But!  Mostly I chose it because I wanted to juxtapose two ideas:  things that plug in (i.e., technology) and things that are generally considered not to (such as dusty old libraries).  This is a stereotype that is due a quick, merciful death.  Yes, many libraries, such as special collections or archival libraries, still dedicate themselves to preserving stacks and stacks of dusty old books.  However, most libraries have evolved to become a lot more than that.  And to require a lot more plugs.  Sure, you can visit your local public library to check out the latest hardback on the bestseller list, but you’re just as likely to borrow an e-book version of it, or visit a computer terminal there to do research for a school project, or learn to create a resume through a class there.  Any university student will tell you they spend less time doing research at the library than they do remotely from their laptop in their dorm room.  At 4 a.m.  Four hours before their paper is due.  Besides services like these, libraries are taking the opportunity to engage their communities personally and offer assistance to their patrons wherever they are – through social media, reference help chat, or good old-fashioned email.  So while the library is plugging itself in, it’s also inviting you to plug yourself into it.  So come on!  Sit down, plug in, and follow along as I explore technology in libraries over the next few weeks in this course.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't notice this template at first-love it and your title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice this template at first-love it and your title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley! It's nice to be in class with you again! I'm with Donna, I really like the title and the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete